/* -- comments show hide javascript -- */

Friday, May 02, 2008

Bad Play

I made two bad plays today and I'm writing both down so I can remember and not repeat my mistakes.

1. I opened UTG+1 with AQ and the cutoff, a tight player with PRF of 10%, 3bet me. I called and we both checked a flop that had middle cards loosely connected. The ace came on the turn and I check raised him and then we got it all in and he showed AK.

The mistake was calling in the first place. Against a loose player AQ is great, but against a tight player it's a trouble hand. You'd much rather be playing pocket pairs or heck, maybe any two cards that don't contain an ace or a king.

2. The second hand involved two fish/calling stations.

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

BB: $195
Hero (UTG): $155
MP: $198.75
CO: $325.85
BTN: $278.60
SB: $184.90

Pre-Flop: dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $7, MP folds, CO calls $7, BTN folds, SB calls $6, BB folds

Flop: ($23) (3 Players)

SB checks, Hero bets $14, CO calls $14, SB calls $14

great flop for me. either fish will call me down with any ace. i bet 2/3 pot to reel the one with the ace in, but unfortunately for me, both called.

Turn: ($65) (3 Players)

SB checks, Hero bets $49, CO calls $49, SB folds

I'm scared with two calls and a somewhat dry flop, but these guys are both utter fish so i bet out a little over 2/3 pot again.

River: ($163) (2 Players)
Hero bets $85 and is All-In, CO calls $85

by this point if he's got aq, he's got me so I just throw in the last of my money. WTF? he his flush. Should I have potted the turn to protect my hand vs two drawing fish? Would a fish continue to call even if potted? 59 would have been a better bet perhaps?

Results: $333 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed (a pair of Aces) and LOST (-$155 NET)
CO showed (a flush, Ace high) and WON $330 (+$175 NET)

posted by joe | permalink | 2 comments

2 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Stoops said...

Hey Joe, I just started reading this but I'll add it to my bloglines.

About your AK play, I think you played it fine. A fish is not going to fold a potted turn with top pair and a nut flush draw, esp. if that top pair happens to be an ace. Personally, I've seen that playing ace-rag is a huge way to exploit fish, and I try to value bet a lot more in these kinds of situations if I know the player is bad.

I think this is a case where you need to look at the process, not results, and be happy with your decisions.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger joe said...

yah after i made this post, i posted it in the deuces cracked forum for advice (without my bet size). everyone said to do what i actually did, so it wasn't a bad play!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home