/* -- comments show hide javascript -- */

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Poor play

I haven't tilted for a long time, but for some reason, my poor play in this one following hand set me off. I think it was because I was so angry that it was MY bad play that lost me the hand and not HIS.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 handed)

saw flop|saw showdown

Button ($100)
SB ($65.15)
BB ($118.50)
JoeThePro ($141.30)
MP ($105.50)
CO ($156.45)

Preflop: JoeThePro is UTG with Qd, Jd.

JoeThePro raises to $3.5, 1 fold, CO calls $3.50, 3 folds.

I'm UTG with a speculative hand and I've got a good stack so I open raise standard. The CO calls who also has a deep stack.

Flop: ($8.50) 2s, Js, Qc (2 players)

JoeThePro bets $7, CO calls $7.

I hit a great flop and I know my hand is best. I think CO would have repopped with QQ or JJ preflop so only hand that beats me is 22. At this point I want to make the pot larger, so I make a nearly pot size bet.

Turn: ($22.50) 6s (2 players)

JoeThePro checks, CO bets $16, JoeThePro calls $16.

The turn card is not great as it completes a flush draw. I still feel that my hand is the best, but I'm not willing to play a huge pot. Check/Call.

River: ($54.50) 8c (2 players)

JoeThePro checks, CO bets $40, JoeThePro calls $40.

The river is a safe card if he doesn't have the flush. Here I believe I should have done a blocking bet. After taking long to call the turn bet, if I think long again on the river and then bet out 30 no one is going to reraise me but a very high flush draw (the long think on the turn makes him think I may have hit the flush and am contemplating a checkraise and a sudden bet out on the turn could confirm this suspicion). Even some low flush draws might not reraise but if I was, I could release. Instead, In my head, I was thinking, I'll call anything up to 40. Unfortunately, for me, he bet exactly what I said to myself I would call.

Final Pot: $134.50

Results in white below:

JoeThePro has Qd Jd (two pair, queens and jacks).

CO has 7s 5s (flush, jack high).

Outcome: CO wins $134.50.


Within 2 orbits of the same short handed table, 2 other guys flushed out on me and I paid them off, making me even more angry and then this hand came up on another table. I played it so bad. UTG is very LAG.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (5 handed)

saw flop|saw showdown

UTG ($116.15)
MP ($197.10)
Button ($184.35)
SB ($124.65)
JoeThePro ($100)

Preflop: JoeThePro is BB with Qd, As.

UTG calls $1, 3 folds, JoeThePro raises to $4.5, UTG raises to $14, JoeThePro calls $9.50.

UTG has a very high VPIP so he limps with many cards. I'm almost sure that my AQ is better than his limping hands. I'm surprised when he reraises me but I want to see if I catch the flop.

Flop: ($28.50) 9d, 5s, Th (2 players)

JoeThePro checks, UTG bets $28.5, JoeThePro raises to $78, UTG calls $49.50.

LAG UTG bets pot and I've seen him bet pot on missed cards, so I push him all in figuring if he has a pocket pair I'll still have 6 outs.

Turn: ($184.50) 4c (2 players)

JoeThePro bets $8 (All-In), UTG calls $8.

River: ($200.50) 6d (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $200.50

Results in white below:

JoeThePro has Qd As (high card, ace).

UTG has Ks Ad (high card, ace).

Outcome: UTG wins $200.50.



When you tilt, your aggression factor goes over the roof. At least I was able to restrain myself and recognize the limp reraise UTG trick and wanted to see a flop (at this level big UTG limp/reraise usually means AA, KK or AK while a min reraise usually means AK or pairs). When I missed I should have dropped my cards but instead I spewed.

posted by joe | permalink | 2 comments

2 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Azn_Cutie said...

Hey Joe,
I like your analysis of these hands. On hand #1, a block bet is also really nice because you gain value from hands like KQ and AQ, as they will probably check behind you if you check first but will probably call a bet of like $30ish and very few players will be able to bluff-raise you on that kind of board.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger joe said...

yah, i feel like i would have lost value if he had KQ and AQ as you mentioned and over paid the flush draw. if i was reraised, i could safely drop my cards also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home